Thursday, March 11, 2010

A Surprising Discovery

I love to talk about couponing with my students. They are so cutely supportive. In fact, the name of this blog is loosely based on a student comment. As I was sharing the concept of couponing and smart shopping with my students very early on in my couponing experience, a student made an under-the-breath comment to a neighbor, "Cheapskate." I answered, "No, I've just decided that I want to decide where to spend money instead of HAVING to spend money. I'd rather have more for Disney! If that makes me a cheapskate, I'll gladly wear that badge!" (Yes, I also share my passion for Disney World with my beloved students.) Thus, Adventures of a Wannabe Cheapskate was born.
Today, a student -- I think it was the same one who inspired my blog title -- asked how many coupons I'd used over all. Well, I hadn't thought of that. I gave my best guess: hundreds. As I thought about it, I realized that I had used 40 Knox coupons, 20 Beech Nut coupons, and so many multiples of others, that I must have used well over 200 coupons in just the 12 or so weeks since I started couponing. I quickly estimated that I have saved over $1,000 in those weeks through couponing. My latest CVS receipt states that I have saved over $425 this year there. I know I saved over $110 using the Knox coupons at Walmart and Publix. I got $10 worth of vitamins free this week. I got $10 worth of toothbrushes and $60 worth of Motrin for free last week at Walgreens. At LEAST $1,000 of savings!
I just really enjoyed that realization today.

No comments:

Post a Comment