Thursday, April 15, 2010

Tonight's Frugal Dinner, Thursday 4/15

TACO RICE!!

We cooked for company tonight, so we did a little more than we normally would have done.

Here's the breakdown:

2 lb. ground beef, bought in bulk from Sam's -- $3.78
Rice, bought on sale at Publix -- $.33
Cheese, bought on sale and with coupon at Publix -- $.40
Sour cream, bought at Publix, no sale or coupon -- $.25
Tomato, bought at Publix; is this a normal price? Yikes! -- $3.55 (WOW!)
Lettuce, bought at Publix -- $.80
Taco Sauce, bought so long ago I don't remember where or how much, so I'm estimating -- $.50

I haven't included the cost of taco seasoning. I really can't give a good guess there. I can say that it's a homemade mix from a recipe I got off the internet. I don't remember the source, but I found it by googling "chili seasoning recipe". I use the same mix in my chili, and I really like it. It can't be more than a couple of pennies, and I made it all from things I already had in the spice cabinet; I didn't have to buy anything to put it together. I made it probably 4 months ago and, even though I made chili or taco rice fairly often, I have probably only used half. I know it's cheaper than buying the packages at Wal-Mart (although I'm not above buying the packages if I can get them for free or super cheap!), and I like that I know all the ingredients and that there are no preservatives added.

Total: $9.61
(for 5 people)

We have a good bit of leftovers. So much, as a matter of fact, that we may just eat the leftovers for dinner tomorrow night. Or I might see how I can morph the meat into a tex-mex pizza or something. Or even into a tex-mex style hamburger helper meal. Something super awesome and super frugal.

No comments:

Post a Comment