Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tonight's Frugal Dinner, 8/9

No, we didn't eat a giant tube of raw meat for dinner! This is the way the meat comes when we buy in bulk. This is a 10 lb. tube. We splurged and used more than one meal's worth of meat last night. The rest went into ziplocs in meal-sized portions. We flattened them out and placed them in the freezer. I say "we" as if I had something to do with it. My wonderful husband does that job. He's amazing.
I was inspired to make my own taco seasoning after reading my sister-in-law's blog post here. What a frugal way to add flavor to our ground beef. This is a very mild recipe, which suits my family just fine.
Our menu was simple: taco beef, rice, cheese, salsa. We have been out of veggies for a while, and haven't replenished. Time for a trip to the farmer's market!
We even had dessert -- for the kids, anyway.

Here's the cost run-down:
ground beef -- $3.50
rice -- $.33
seasoning -- $.50
cheese -- $1
Salsa -- $.57
dessert -- $.75 (Blue Bunny novelties, $1 each; used $.75 coupon from All You = $.25 each)
Total for 2 adults and 3 kids: $6.65

No comments:

Post a Comment