Sunday, August 8, 2010

Publix, 8/8 -- 78% Savings

My beautiful Dianna and I had a wonderful time shopping together tonight. She was very tired by the time we got home, but the sweet fellowship we had was worth it. As soon as we got in the car, she said, "Mom, can you teach me about something?" I asked her what she would like to learn about. She said, "The story I like best of all." I knew what story that was, but thought she would like to tell me. "Which is . . . ?" I asked. "The story of Jesus when he died on the cross. I just love that story," was her response, just as I suspected. So precious. So, I told the story, starting at the last supper. We stopped at Walgreens and had just gotten to the Garden of Gethsemane. We put the story on hold. As soon as we got back in the car after Walgreens, she reminded me to pick up where we left off. By the time we reached Publix, we had Jesus at Pilate's home. Same deal after Publix. Still in the parking lot, she began asking me to continue. We went right across the street to another Publix, and got Jesus buried. As we got out of the car, she told me that she loves to hear that story because it makes her think about Jesus and how much He loves her. By the time we reached home, we had made it through the rest of the story all the way to the ascension. She mostly listened quietly, but interjected with enthusiasm every now and then. She must remember the exact words her teacher has used in telling the resurrection story. She said about Judas, "He was just a pretender who didn't really love Jesus." It is such a blessing to see her passion for hearing the gospel. It reminds me of that old hymn "I Love to Tell the Story." You know, that verse that says:

I love to tell the story for those who know it best
Seem hungering and thirsting
To hear it like the rest

She often asks for this story -- she really does hunger and thirst for it. So sweet.

Well, aside from sharing that special time together, we did get some shopping done. At first as we walked the aisles, it seemed like every deal I was looking for was either out, not valid for our area, or more expensive than the blogs reported. Oh, and I left the coupons in the printer for the one deal that was going to provide overage. All in all, then, I guess we did all right.

Here's the run down:

2 Sundown vitamins -- $2.99 and $4.99
Used 2 $1 peelies
Used $6/2 from the Green Advantage flier
Paid: FREE! plus $.02 overage!

4 assorted Juicy Juice -- BOGO -- 2 for $3.03
Used 2 $1/2 printable coupons
Paid: $4.06 for all 4, or $1.02 each

1 qt. buttermilk -- $2.15
no coupon
Paid: $2.15

1 large container Publix brand old-fashioned oats -- $2.99
no coupon
Paid: $2.15

1 Ritz Crackerful crackers -- $2.50
Used $1 from 6/6 SS
Paid: $1.50

Publix brand unsalted butter -- $2.99
no coupon
Paid: $2.99 (What, are we on a butter shortage or something? That's the second time in a row that butter has been that price. That is ridiculously high in my opinion.)

1 small container McCormick cream of tartar -- $2.69
no coupon
Paid: $2.69

1 bag celery -- $1.59
no coupon
Paid: $1.59

2 pks. Nestle refrigerated cookie dough -- BOGO -- 2 for $3.39
Used 2 $1 internet printables
Paid: $1.39 for both, or $.70 each!

Used $9.99 ECB that I got at CVS today.

Paid: $9.35
Saved: $33.53
Percent of Savings: 78%

No comments:

Post a Comment