Sunday, August 22, 2010

Saturday Savings, 8/21 -- Walgreens and Publix

Oh, it feels like such a long time since I did a real shopping trip! The Lord provided some grocery money for us this week, so we were blessed to be able to hunt for (and pay for!) some great deals. I disliked the way the cashier handled the coupons, but I'll go into that later.

See hotcouponworld.com to search by brand to find where to get the coupons I used.

Walgreens:

2 Head and Shoulders shampoos -- 2 for $8
Used B1G1 coupon from 7/11 SS
Used $3 RR
Paid: $1.60 for both, or just $.80 each!
Received $2 RR!

Publix:

4 Barilla whole grain pasta -- BOGO -- 2 for $1.43
Used 2 $1/2 printable coupons
Paid: $.86 for all 4, or just $.22 each!

2 Special K protein snack bars -- 2 for $7
Used $1/2 printable coupon
Paid: $6 for both, or $3 each!

2 Special K cereal -- $4.09 each
Used $1/2 printable coupon
Used $1/2 Target coupon
Paid: $6.18 or $3.09 each!

6 assorted Hamburger Helper -- BOGO -- 2 for $1.99
Used 2 $.75/3 from the 8/8 RP or GM
Used 2 $1/2 Target coupons
Paid: $2.47 for all 6, or just $.42 each!

2 Juicy Juice 8-pk fun size drinks -- $2.15 each
Used $1/2 from the 8/1 RP
Used 2 $1 Target coupons
Paid: $1.30 for both, or just $.65 each!
(That comes out to an average of $.08 per day for Dianna's drink for school snack!)

1 Nature Valley Sweet and Salty Granola Bar -- $3.39
Used $.50 from the 8/8 GM
Used $1 Target coupon
Paid: $1.89

1 Nature Valley Granola Thins -- $3.39
Used FREE Publix coupon from a recent insert
Used $.75 from the 8/8 GM
Paid: FREE! plus $.75 overage!

2 Pepperidge Farms crackers -- BOGO -- 2 for $3.49
Used 2 $1/1 printable coupons
Paid: $1.49 for both, or just $.75 each!

4 Athenos feta cheese -- BOGO -- 2 for $2.49
Used 2 BOGO coupons from Facebook
Paid: FREE for all 4!

2 Kid's Cuisine fish stick meals -- BOGO -- 2 for $2.39
Used 2 $1 printable coupons
Used $1/2 Publix coupon from one of the back-to-school fliers
Paid: FREE for both, plus $.61 overage!

2 Pillsbury ready-to-bake cookie mix -- 2 for $5
Used $1/2 printable coupon
Paid: $4 for both, or $2 each!

1 Pillsbury Sweet Moments -- $3.19
Used FREE Publix coupon from a recent insert
Used $1 coupon from the 8/8 GM
Paid: FREE! plus $1 overage!

12-pk Publix bottled water -- $3.67
Used $2 Publix coupon from Fuel for School booklet
Paid: $1.67

2 Peter Pan peanut butter -- BOGO -- 2 for $2.67
Used 2 $.60 from the 8/1 SS
Used $1/2 from one of the back-to-school Publix fliers or booklets
Paid: $.47 for both, or $.24 each!

Publix brand sandwich bags -- $1.69
Used $2 Publix coupon from Fuel for School booklet
Paid: FREE! plus $.31 overage!

2 U by Kotex liners -- 2 for $7
Used 2 $2 coupons from the Walgreens August savings booklet
Used 2 $1 printable coupons
Paid: $1 for both, or just $.50 each!

2 Excedrin Migraine 24-ct. -- $1.49
Used 2 $1 printable coupons
Paid: $.98 for both, or just $.49 each!

2 Planters peanuts -- BOGO -- 2 for $2.99
Used 2 $1 printable coupons (I can't seem to find where this one is from.)
Paid: $.99 for both, or just $.50 each!

1 head of cauliflower -- $2
no coupon
Paid: $2

Tax was $.66

Total Paid: $32.59
Total Saved: $82.39
Total Percent of Savings: 71.6%

Okay, here's what I didn't like about the way the cashier dealt with the coupons. I offered them to her at the beginning of the transaction because I know that some cashiers like to see them up front. She immediately began separating them into stacks that didn't make sense at all to me. I had put all the coupons for a particular product together in my stack, but the products were in no particular order. She had at least one stack where she placed all the coupons for particular items together, but then she had other stacks of store coupons only or manufacturer coupons only, even if it meant that she split up coupons for the same product. It was crazy to me.
Then, she would scan some items, then ring some coupons. She went back and forth. She rang up some Barilla (not all), rang up 1 coupon, rang up Special K bars, then coupon, then coupon for special k cereal, then the cereal, then 21 more items, then 3 coupons, then item, coupon, item, coupon, etc. It didn't really seem to have any rhyme or reason. When she was done scanning the items, she still had a stack or two of coupons to scan. I am 100% sure that she moved two stacks that had not been scanned in front of her, then picked up one stack, scanned them, and placed them on the stack that she had not scanned. She then placed them all in the scanned stack before moving on to the last stack. I tried to tell her that there were some that she missed, but she didn't seem to get it. I paid at least $3 more than I should have, maybe up to $6 more.
I may be a crazy person for letting that bother me, but I spent the time to print and/or clip those coupons, and some of the items I purchased only because I had coupons for them. So, I'm irritated that April at the Bayou store handled it that way.
I learned a lesson though. I watched a Follow Me Monday video from hiptosave.com a while back, in which Collin answered a reader's question about how to make sure that all her coupons got scanned. Colin gave several ideas, but the easiest and least obtrusive one she gave was to simply count the number of coupons you have. If your receipt doesn't match that number, you could go to Customer Service to work it out. (They could pull the cashier's coupons and find which ones were missed.) It could be a bit of a hassle to get through, but I would be willing to go through that hassle since I already invested the time to prepare the list. In my description above, I counted 40 coupons. On my receipt, only 36 are listed.
I know that was a long rant, but it is frustrating!

Anyway, I still got some great deals. I'm thrilled with the Hamburger Helper -- Dianna says I make FAMOUS hamburger helper. (That means she likes it a lot. :) ) My favorite deal was the 2 boxes of Nature Valley for $1.14. Together with the juice boxes, I have 3 weeks worth of snacks for Dianna at school for just $.16 per day!

No comments:

Post a Comment