Sunday, March 10, 2013

A Month-in-the-life of my non-stick skillet: day 10

So I know nobody reads this blog anymore, but I'm posting for myself anyway. I have been on a mission this month to use my non-stick skillet frequently. This is part of another mission I'm on to reduce eating out and the spending that goes along with it. (I'm pleased to report that we have tremendously reduced the amount of times we eat out by this point in a month. PLUS, we have only eaten out when we could use a coupon or for a special deal - like kids eat free at Sonny's last weekend.) It has been a full 7 days since our last restaurant meal.
This eat-in mission is part of my ongoing attempt at being a cheapskate, but it is also part of  a deeply personal prayer request between me and God regarding building the character trait of contentment. It is a thrill to experience how God is working in my life in this area. He is fulfilling my needs and giving such peace in the area of contentment.
Anyhow, I am posting here occasionally, mostly as a way to keep myself accountable regarding eating out. It's funny how God is using this seemly small area of my life to teach how big He is. I posted Friday morning about how I had big plans for my skillet for dinner. By the time I finished work that day, the last thing I wanted to do was to cook. I prayed as I left school that my husband would ask if he could take us out to dinner. I also prayed that, if He didn't want us to eat out, he would give me peace and not bitterness. All the way home, I prayed that the hubs would ask where I wanted to eat out. I mentally sifted through the dining coupons we keep in the car. When we pulled into the driveway with no offer of a restaurant dinner, I thanked God for answering my prayer (even a  "no" is an answer) and got busy in the kitchen. I made dinner rolls from scratch to go along with the not sagna pasta toss I enjoy. (It's a rachael ray recipe found on www.foodnetwork.com)
I used my skillet yesterday to heat some corned beef hash for brunch. (I used the reduced-fat kind, so I only feel medium-sized guilt about eating that.)
Today, I will use my non-stick skillet to make caldereta, a Filipino dish something like a spicy pork stew.
I am so thankful for the way The Lord is working in my life to give me contentment. He has changed me so much in just 10 days as I have given this area over to Him. So much so that, when my kids asked my husband if we could get drinks from Sonic and he allowed it, I didn't get one. Not out of stubborn resistance, but because I truly didn't desire one. Perhaps this seems like such a trivial matter. Thousands of people never get to eat out in a month's time, but this is real growth for me. Praise The Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment