Saturday, March 2, 2013

A Month in the Life of My Non-stick Skillet: Day 2: Breakfast Fried Rice

I have been wanting to try a month-in-the-life kind of motivation for myself for some time now. You know, a little extra push to cook instead of going out to eat in very non-cheapskate fashion. We did to out to dinner yesterday, which was payday for us, before we went grocery shopping. So today it behooves me to start this little self-imposed cook at home restriction. (Ugg, I REALLY enjoy eating out, and I already miss it!)
Today I made a fried rice dish for breakfast, and, like many of the meals I make, it was not especially healthy. It cost only around $3 for the whole recipe, though.

Breakfast Fried Rice

2 c uncooked rice
2 eggs
Soy sauce, to taste
4 slices bacon
Summer sausage, as much as you want

Cook rice according to package instructions. 
In a large non-stick skillet, cook 4 slices of bacon. Set the bacon aside, but don't drain the grease. 
When the rice is cooked (using leftover rice tastes even better.), add it to the skillet on medium heat. Stir so that the rice and grease are well incorporated. (Sickly unhealthy, isn't it? There's no butter, though, so you need that fat. It's called FRIED rice for a reason!) 
Make a hole in the center and add the two eggs. Scramble well. Mix eggs into the rice. Season with a bit of soy sauce. 
Crumble cooked bacon and add it to the mix. Cube summer sausage (I didn't measure mine; I just used what I had leftover in the fridge.) and add it to the pan. Stir well. 
Taste, then add soy sauce or pepper as needed. 
Optionally, finish with sesame seeds and/or green onions.  Of course, adding veggies is never a bad idea. 
Makes enough for the 5 of us, with a bit left over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment