Saturday, March 5, 2011

Tonight's Frugal Dinner

I'm working on a recipe I got from http://www.afewshortcuts.com/.  Here's the link to the recipe: Beef and Bean Burritos.  I made this once before, following the recipe very closely, and it was an enormous success!  The meat and bean mixture was wonderfully flavorful and somehow entirely different from plain old ground beef.  This time, I didn't have garlic or onion, so I used garlic and onion powder instead.  Instead of tomato sauce, I used some V-8 tomato juice that I had in the fridge from the last time I made chili.  I also used some broth, just because.  And, instead of refried beans, I used a can of black beans that I slightly mashed before putting them in the crockpot.  I even substituted the roast I used.  I got a small roast yesterday at Publix using a $1 coupon (wyb Uncle Ben's rice).  It's been cooking since around 10:00 am, and just now, a little after 5:00 pm, I went in to do the second half of the preparation and to shred the meat, and it just didn't fall apart like I expected.  I'm not sure why it's not tender, but I just stuck it back in the crockpot on high after adding the black beans.  After a bit I'll go see what I can do.  As I was working on it, I remembered that the last time I made this meal I put about half of it in the freezer.  I guess now I'll have two freezer beef and bean burrito meals ready in the freezer! 
I plan to use a Taco Bell taco dinner boxed meal for serving.  It has sauce, crunchy taco shells, and soft flour tortillas.  I might make some rice, too.  Cheese and sour cream, of course. 

Let's see if I can come up with a cost analysis for this meal:

beef roast -- $4.58
onion powder and garlic powder -- $.05 (I think that's a high estimate for the tiny bit I used out of the giant bulk containers from Sam's Club!)
V-8 juice -- $.59
broth -- $.25
black beans -- $.17
Taco Bell boxed dinner -- $.66
Cheese -- $.50
Sour cream -- $.40

Total for this dinner: $7.20

Plus, I'll have enough beef and bean mixture to make into another meal, which will cost just an additional $1.56!

So I have two meals at a total of $8.76, or just $4.38 each!

No comments:

Post a Comment