Monday, February 21, 2011

Tonight's Frugal Dinner

I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a line-item analysis of the cost for tonight's dinner.  The Italian Days sale at Publix has such a complicated combination of coupons that it is physically impossible (for me, anyway) to figure just how much I spent on certain of these items. 

I used a Rachael Ray recipe on http://www.foodnetwork.com/.  I searched "not-sagna" to find the recipe.  I did made a few changes -- I used onion powder and garlic powder since I don't currently have fresh onions or garlic.  I didn't use red wine; I used extra beef stock instead.  I didn't use red pepper flakes; I used a touch of ground red pepper. 

When all was said and done, I am guessing I spent around $6 for this dinner.  I served it with some of the free bread, thanks to the Italian Days sale, from the Publix bakery.  I had planned to serve some broccoli or something, but it was such a HUGE bowl of pasta, I couldn't manage it. 

I have only just realized that I love ricotta cheese.  I could have eaten the pasta with the ricotta, pasta water, and parmesan cheese, without the meat sauce.  I'm glad I have another big container of ricotta! 

No comments:

Post a Comment