Sunday, February 13, 2011

Last Night's Frugal Dinner


I think I'm going to love this iphone picture directly sent to my blog business.  Last night's dinner was a super frugal chicken and rice casserole.  I put 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot (on high) yesterday shortly after lunch.  When we got up from our beloved traditional Saturday afternoon naps, the chicken was cooked through and the house smelled like the herb and garlic marinade I'd used.  I shredded 2 of the 3 chicken breasts (which made a huge amount of meat! I had no idea!) and added it to the casserole pan where I already had 2 cups of rice, 5 cups of water, and a packet of chicken noodle soup mix. That's it!  In hindsight, I wish I'd added just a touch more water. 
I baked it at 350 for 45 minutes or so.  The rice seemed to really not want to get un-crunchy.  That's why I wish I'd added a bit more water.  When all was said and done, it was okay, but it might have been quicker and even better if I'd added more water.
I thought about adding some Velveeta, since I still have several in my pantry from ages ago, but decided against it since my daughter wouldn't touch it and my son would probably balk at it in sympathy for his sister.

Here's the cost breakdown:

3 chicken breasts (approx. 2 lb.) -- $3.54
2 1/2 c rice -- $.30
chicken noodle soup mix -- free!

New York Texas Toast -- $.86
We went veggie-less with this meal.  I should have thrown some broccoli right in the casserole, shouldn't I?

Total cost: $4.70 for a huge casserole!
We had enough leftovers to use as a starter for a fried rice or for a light lunch.
PLUS! I have another cooked chicken breast to use in a pasta salad or something, making a second meal for probably around $2! 

No comments:

Post a Comment