Saturday, December 24, 2011

Today's Cheapskate DESSERT: Lime Meltaways

Oh my, I LOVE baking.  I can't believe it's taken me 34 years to figure out what a great hobby it is.  I always dreaded the clean up, I guess, and that kept me from trying too many things.  I have grasped the fact that clean up is part of the process, and that the process is captivating.  I get more relaxation from baking, I think, than even a nap.  (And I've always loved naps.) 
I've followed http://www.closetcooking.com/ on twitter for quite some time, enjoying the recipes, but feeling like they were out of my league.  I recently read the recipe for dark chocolate shortbread with fleur de sel, and I was intrigued.  I browsed his Kevin's blog a little bit and came across the recipe for lime meltaways.  WELL, if there's anything I'd like to snack on more than chocolate chunk cookies, it's lime cookies.  I have a special affinity for just about anything citrus.

I did make a couple of tweaks, but nothing major.  At least I hope it doesn't turn out to be major.  I'm only about half way done with the recipe as I type this portion of this post.

Lime Meltaways

1 1/2 sticks butter, at room temperature ($.94)
1/3 c. powdered sugar ($.12)
zest of 2 limes ($.67)
2 Tbsp. lime juice
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract (I used almond just because, and I was just shy of a tablespoon.) ($.21)
1 3/4 c. + 2 Tbsp. flour ($.30)
2 Tbsp. corn starch ($.05)
1/4 tsp. salt ($.00)
3/4 c. powdered sugar ($.27)

Total for the batch: $2.56
My batch made 3 dozen cookies.

Cream together butter and sugar.
Add lime zest and juice, vanilla (or almond) extract and beat well.
In a large bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, and salt.
Combine wet and dry ingredients.
Roll out the dough into a 1 1/4 inch log.
Wrap in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour. (I used the freezer for 30 minutes.)
Slice the dough into 1/4 inch pieces and place on a baking sheet 1 inch apart.
Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.
Let cook on a wire rack for 4 minutes.
Dredge in powdered sugar to coat.

Lime Meltaways in the cut-into-slices phase.

**UPDATE: The cookies are done, and they are different than I expected.  They are drier than I thought.  I was expecting really buttery meltiness, not crumbly meltiness.  They taste good - tart and sweet at the same time.  I'm somewhat disappointed to be honest.  I wonder if the lack of vanilla extract was my mistake?  I had thought I'd also try making the dark chocolate shortbread cookies linked above, but now I'm not sure I want to.   Oh, well.  Really, I like them.  I do.  But I'm afraid no one else will.  And I think they might be messy with their crumbli-ness.

The first pan of Lime Meltaways as a finished product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment