Saturday, August 20, 2011

Saturday's snack - homemade pretzels

Let's see if I can come up with a close approximation of the cost of this yummy treat:

1 1/3 c water - free!
2 T butter - $.25
1 1/2 T sugar - $.04
3/4 t salt - free! (Still using the giant vat of salt I received as a gift)
4 c flour - $1.42
2 1/2 t yeast - $.17
1 1/2 T baking soda - $.03???
Plus more water for simmering.  Plus more salt to sprinkle on top.  Both free.
I did rub the tops with butter after they came out of the oven, but I didn't use more than a teaspoon.  Maybe half that.  So let's say $.05?

Total for 15 delicious pretzels - $1.96!

I'm thinking about making these for my class as a treat for getting through the first week of school.  I'll have to figure out how to make them tomorrow but save them until Friday.  Not sure how that's going to work.  Or if I'll manage to keep my hands off of them that long!  I'll have to make two batches to get everyone.  I am thinking of making them a bit smaller/skinnier.  That will give me enough to give to my team teacher(s) and assistant and principal, too.  I think that will help them hold their shape better, too.  They puffed up so much - in rising, simmering, and baking - that many of them lost their pretzel-shape, as you can tell in the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment