Saturday, March 3, 2012

I Did It: Lemon Crinkle Cookies


These cookies came together so easily! I got the recipe from Pinterest last night or this morning, and now I have cookies cooling on my stove!  The flavor is quite mild, but that's my own fault.  My lemons have been with me for a while, so they are soft and wouldn't zest.  Since I couldn't include the 2 tsp. lemon zest, I increased the lemon juice, hoping to keep the lemon flavor strong.  It didn't work; the lemon flavor is very, very faint.  They cookies are nicely sweet, though, thanks to the powdered sugar coating.  Another thing I didn't do was to line the cookie sheets with parchment.  I ran out, so I just used cooking spray.  I'm finding that the cookies are sticking to the pan a bit. 


1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 350.
Using a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar, mixing for about 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
To the mixture in the stand mixer, add the egg, vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest.  Beat until combined. 
Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
Place powdered sugar in a small bowl.  Roll heaping tablespoons-ful in the sugar before placing them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
Bake for 12 minutes, turning the cookie sheet halfway through.
Cool for just a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack.
 
Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

Estimated Cost Breakdown:
Flour - $.05
Baking soda - $.02 
Baking powder - $.02
Salt - $0 (still using the big container of pink himalayan sea salt I got as a gift)
butter - $.99 
sugar - $.29
lemon juice and zest - $.50
vanilla - $.03
powdered sugar - $.16

Total cost for the batch: $2.06

Coming later today: Two more "I Did It" posts - breadsticks and lasagna soup


No comments:

Post a Comment